I've been making this recipe for a couple of years now, and modified it a few times. It's mild enough to be enjoyed by both boys while still being flavorful enough for the grown-ups too.
4-5 medium carrots
3-4 stalks celery
1 large onion
1 package of precooked chicken sausage (we prefer a mild italian sausage, but have also used a spinach garlic flavor)
1 32 ounce container of chicken stock
2 tsp of dried oregano
1 tsp dried minced garlic
1 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes
1 cup water
1 16 ounce package of frozen cheese tortellini
Salt and pepper to taste
1.Wash and chop the vegetables into 1/2 inch slices.
2. Cut the chicken sausages into 1/2 inch slices.
3. Place all the vegetables and sausage pieces into the pot. Add the dried herbs.
4. Pour the can of diced tomatoes, chicken stock, and water into the crock pot.
5. Turn the crock pot on either high for 6 hours or low for 10 hours.
6. About 15 minutes before serving, cook the tortellini according to the directions in a small pot of boiling water. Drain and add the tortellini to the finished soup.
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
This makes a pretty large pot of soup, we usually have enough leftovers to take for lunch for a few days. For Little Brother we just strain the soup from the broth and cut up all the sausage
This post may also have been shared at some of these terrific link parties.